Wet Felting a Gas Canister Cover


The hubs asked me to make a cover for this gas canister that lives in the campervan for our stove.  It can get quite chilly in the van, especially in the winter and it isn’t possible to buy a comer.  I had some leftover Bergschaf and some merino batt in natural fawn and natural brown.   I hadn’t had much luck making a cosy before and this was no different because I took the wrong measurement for the circumference of the cannister.  I must have had a senior moment as the measuring tape was facing the wrong direction and I wrote the wrong number down.  It took me a while to realise when I couldn’t felt it down any more.  I must have been on automatic pilot.


So this is it.  It actually looks good before cutting, but it is too big, and it is so hairy.  Not only was the Bergschaf hairy, so was the merino, especially the natural fawn.  Never again shall I purchase Bergschaf or natural merino batts.  I still have some left over that I might use for a bird pod.  In the end, I had to cut it and stitch it together with a blanket stitch.  I didn’t even save the offcuts as I ended up with hairs all over me while sewing it up.  I suppose it had to be done at some point.

I steamed it a little bit, but that is as much as I am prepared to do as it fit for purpose as is, and I didn’t want to spend any more time on it as necessary.  Sometimes you just have to make do.