I shared my mini-me with one of the wet felting groups on Facebook and someone suggested that she needed a hat. So, I made one. The first hat wouldn’t shrink the way I wanted. I used three layers. I measured as I would for an adult’s hat. I don’t have a photo of it. There is nothing nice about it. I shall call it my test hat. (This is why one should always make samples!)
I made some adjustments to the template and made it smaller in width. This time I only used 2 layers of wool with some sari silk fibers. At the same time I made a scarf with the same color of commercial pre-felt from Wingham.
The prefelt stretched and even after it was felted, it was too long, so I cut it to size. The hat came out better and I like that I was able to get a little dome at the top. You have to remember that although the mini-me is made on a resist, it isn’t 100% 3D. It is flattish. I also gave the doll a brighter lip color as I thought she was looking a bit pale and anaemic.
Since the weather is a bit chilly, I thought I would make a vest for her. I haven’t made any type of vest before, so this was a new thing for me. I decided to use prefelt and made a rectangle. When it was ready, I measured and cut out the armholes. There is a tutorial on Living Felt on how to felt clothes for dolls. It is basically the same as for people, but small. Here she is with her vest on.
I made a little flower brooch from the leftover scarf material. It is only about an inch wide. She can also wear the brooch in her hat.
I am quite pleased with how the accessories turned out. Now that she has some clothes and lipstick, I feel that she resembles me more. 🙂