After making the bright stripy scarf, my mind went into overdrive. Although I produced a very nice piece of felt, I thought there were things I could have done better – such as with the color choices on the back. I should have used a darker color. The stripes coming through really bug me, even though others have been complimentary. In hindsight, I should have used a thinner piece of roving. The instructions specified quarters. I also wondered why I didn’t get much shrinkage on the width. Was the roving too thick? Was it because of the viscose? All of these questions required some answers. With time on my hands I decided to make another scarf.
I mostly have 23mic merino from World of Wool as I had been making hats and I love it for that. There is also a bigger range of colors in this weight compared to the 18.5mic. If I use the blending board to make batts, I can make them really thin to make very soft cobweb scarves and neck warmers, especially if they are blended with silk or viscose. I can see the benefit of using a lower micron merino for wearables like scarves and nuno felting, but sometimes one needs to use what one has. I only have 19mic merino in reds and corals, a pink and cobalt blue that I got on offer from DHG and I used some of that to make the first scarf. I decided to make another scarf in the 23mic merino in muted colors.
Here is the layout above. I used one layer of mink (limited edition) for the base as it is the darkest color. For the stripes I used mink, peppermint, catkin and natural white all in 23mic merino. Instead of splitting the roving into quarters, I split it up into sixths. I laid out 76 inches x 9 inches wide. I felted it to a final measurement of 60 inches x just over 6 inches wide. I ended up fulling it twice as I wasn’t too happy with the texture the first time and didn’t feel it had been fulled enough. Sometimes you don’t notice things until a piece is dry. I just rewet it in warm soapy water and gave it a bit of massage and threw it down on the table a few times and that seemed to do the trick.
I am quite pleased with the result and how it turned out. I now have a soft scarf that anyone can wear. It’s quite retro. After making this I immediately laid out another scarf in the bright colors in 19mic.
Here is the layout from the first bright scarf as I didn’t take a photo of the new layout. I had roving left from the first project. I had half of a full piece of roving and I split it into thirds, which is less than I used the first time. I used the pink as the base layer as that seemed to be the darkest color that came through on the first scarf.
I was able to shrink it down to 60 inches x 6 inches wide. Instead of rolling the way I normally do, I tried the tumble dryer method for the first time. I had a bit of a freak-out after the second round as some of the roving wasn’t sticking to the base, but I managed to salvage the situation with some old fashioned rubbing and the fulling tool. I am really happy with this one too! I like the darker color on the back.
Here they are together.
They are all the same length. B and C are the same length and width. Scarf A weighs in at 143g, scarf B weighs in at 128g and scarf C weighs 102g. My favorite is scarf C, just for the colors and I do like a narrow scarf. Although it should feel softer than scarf B because of the weight and microns, I don’t really notice much difference and I do have sensitive skin. I am still not sure if viscose was the culprit contributing to how the width of scarf A shrunk. I would need to make another one to find out, but I am so done with stripes right now!