I made a shawl over a week ago, actually more like two weeks ago. I made up some felting batts on the blending board. I had an idea in my mind. Here is how I laid it out.
I posted this layout on my Facebook page as a work in progress. It is quite big and takes up the whole table. I think I need a wider table. I made up about 10 felting batts. After felting I wasn’t really crazy about it. It was well felted, and really light, but it didn’t work out the way I planned it. I had it on the mannequin drying and wondering what I could do with the lovely felt. I thought of cutting it up and making a hat. Although I prefer to felt my hats on a resist, I am not adverse to cutting up felt and stitching it up to make a hat. It is just another way of doing it. So I just left it on the mannequin waiting for the right moment to deal with it. I do that with paintings also.
Then one day I had an idea. So I pinned a few areas and when I was happy, I cut it! It looks like this.
It is more like a little cape. Although the shawl didn’t turn out the way I imagined, and it still isn’t perfect, for me, I am pleased with my adjustments. However, I learned a lot, so I don’t feel my time was wasted. I used the cut offs to make a collar and I left the whole shawl asymmetrical. I will try this again, but I have a better idea on how to construct it differently next time. The scarf is made with superfine merino wool with viscose fibers on top. on one side only. I used one of the poppy brooches I recently made to pin it together. I would be really happy to wear this for a fancy evening out!